Saturday 14 October 2017

Shipwreck Casserole II - Updated Version

Okay, so I talked to my mom on the phone before I baked the Shipwreck Casserole recipe, and here is the version as she makes it - also, I am halving the size of the recipe, since my pot looks to be about half the size of hers. She assured me that making half as much should not burn the casserole with the same cooking times - I hope she's right! She also told me that it freezes well, which is what I want.
.
Ingredients:
- 2 sliced raw potatoes ($0.42)                                  
- 1 sliced onion ($0.71)                                          
- 1lb hamburger (browned) ($2.74 - Med. Ground Beef) - Okay, I made the recipe with 1lb of hamburger instead of 3/4lbs - I mean, really, can a little more hamburger be a bad thing?             
- 3 stalks sliced celery - 250g of celery = 1 cup = 3 stalks ($0.45)
- 300ml of ketchup ($1.20) + 150ml of water

Directions:
Place ingredients in a greased baking dish, layered in the order given. Season with salt and pepper. Cover. Bake for 2 hours @ 325 degrees.
.
.
Alternative Cooking Times & Temperatures: 
- 1 & 1/2 hours @ 350 degrees
- 1 & 1/4 hours @ 375 degrees
.
.
Cost to Make:
$5.52 (2017 Prices)
3 Meals = $1.84/meal





 
.

No comments:

Post a Comment