Once the soil was on the balcony, the next task at hand was drilling drainage holes in the bottoms of the containers. The picture shows six holes in the bottom but a little while later I drilled two more holes on the bottom sides as well. I hope that's enough, but if it isn't I can always drill a few more holes into the sides.
And voila! Dirt to play with! All I need now is my plastic beach pail & shovel, and perhaps some Tonka Toys.
I put a potting soil mix in the large containers. The containers I had from last year have a premium top soil mix in them, and I still had some left over which I used to to top them up. They should all be potting soil mix, rather than top soil. You can tell the difference right away. The top soil has little bits of bark and manure in it while the potting soil is nice and clean, with it's added nutrients quite visible. I've also read that potting soil is lighter than top soil. Well, I'm not going to just throw out the top soil, because plants still grew perfectly fine in it previously, but if I replace the soil in the future I will certainly use all potting soil mix.
As you can see in the pictures, it's pouring rain outside. This is one nice thing about being on the balcony - you can be puttering around in your garden no matter the weather. Ha! Take that, you soaking wet in the backyard land-gardeners! Us sky-gardeners got you beat hands-down in this department, even if it also means regularly watering by hand.
I'm not sure if I'm going to keep the containers positioned where they currently are. There are many ways I can arrange them, and in fact, I could easily stuff two more of these containers in between the others and have six of them on the balcony. Maybe next year. First we'll see how these four work out.